Before the Event
Scouting the Action
- Walk the area to determine what is needed and identify "hot spots" and problem areas. Take "before" photos.
- Identify safety hazards and ecologically sensitive areas to be avoided.
- Set a date with start and end times (2-3 hours is optimal). If the event will not be "rain or shine," set an alternate date in case of bad weather.
- Decide where volunteers will park, where you will greet them, how volunteers will get to the work area, and how work will be divided up, if at all.
- Is the site accessible to small children and volunteers of varying physical ability?
- What supplies are needed? Rock Creek Conservancy may provide some supplies or help you identify alternate sources.
- Recruit assistants if needed.
- Contact park officials or other agencies
- Rock Creek Park, NPS event: a Volunteer Service Agreement must be filed.
- MNCPPC Parks: you must request and recieve a permission letter for the event
- Obtain approval and discuss logistics such as where to leave trash/debris and any hazards or sensitive areas they would like you to avoid.
- Make sure you understand your obligations.
- Ask us to post your event on the website calendar and other volunteer sites.
- Promote through your neighborhood listservs, post on Craigslist, send a blast to your email list, or anything else you can think of.
- Post flyers in local shops and community centers.
- Track RSVPs in case you need to notify people of changes.
Day of the Event
- Wear your stream team leader vest so people can easily spot you.
- Do a final check of the site and clearly mark any areas to be avoided.
- Greet volunteers as they arrive, thank them for coming and make sure EVERY volunteer signs in completely and legibly. Explain the work to be done, brief them on safety concerns, let them know where to leave trash/debris, and remind them of the event end time.
- As volunteers leave, be sure gloves and tools are returned, thank them for their work, and let them know how to find out about other volunteer opportunities with Rock Creek Conservancy.
- Take lots of pictures!
- Supplies you might need include:
- Table & chairs
- Clipboard, pens,sign-in sheet/ waiver, notepad
- Stream Team flyers, wallet cards, other promotional materials
- Plastic sheet to keep things dry in wet weather
- First aid kit
- Trash bags
- Reusable gloves
After the Event
- Send a report to MNCPPC, if necessary.
For Rock Creek Conservancy
- Fill out and submit a data sheet about the event. Send in any good pictures and a short blurb about your event for our newsletter/website.
- Send in /sign waiver forms.
- Save names and contact information so you can track volunteers.
- Send thank you notes as appropriate.
- Wash dirty gloves in cold water and hang to dry.